Thursday, April 19, 2012

REVIEW: ProFlex20™ Shake – Classic Vanilla

This will be the first of several reviews that are on the negative side.  That is not to say that this product is not for you - it's just not for me.  ProFlex20™ was in the running to replace my current whey protein powder.  I was REALLY hoping to love this product because my other whey protein runs $50+/tub at GNC depending on the sale. Amazon sells it for around $40 plus shipping (depending on the seller).  ProFlex20™ is $16.99/bag.  And, truthfully, it all boiled down to a matter of taste.  I tried it blended with fruit, I tried it shaken with almond milk, I tried it with water.  I tried to like it, I really did.  The taste was more tart than what I like in a vanilla flavor.  It also had a fluffy consistency, regardless of whether you blended it or used a shaker bottle.  Here are the stats for reference:

GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified 100% Whey Protein-Vanilla Melaleuca    ProFlex20™ Shake – Classic Vanilla GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified 100% Whey Protein-Vanilla
PRICE ~ $40 (Amazon) $16.99 (Melaleuca) ~ $40 (Amazon)
   PRICE per gram* $0.030/gram $0.037/gram $0.030/gram
Serving Size 3 scoops (79g) 2 scoops (31g) 2 scoops (52.67g)
   Servings per container 17 15 25.5
Calories 280 150 186.67
Calories from Fat 10 40 6.67
Total Fat 1g 4.5g <1g
   Sat. Fat 0.5g 1g <0.5g
   Trans Fat n/a 0g n/a
Cholesterol 20mg 10mg 13.33mg
Total Carbs 7g 11g 4.67g
   Dietary Fiber 1g 5g <1g
   Sugars 2g 2g 1.33g
Protein 60g 20g 40g
Sodium 350mg 75mg 233.33mg
* More accurate price breakdown since the serving sizes are not exactly the same.

The first row is from the Wheybolic label, while the 3rd row shows how I use the Wheybolic protein - 2 scoops instead of 3.  At first glance, it appears that the Wheybolic is the better choice - more protein, less fat per serving, etc.  However, the sodium is significantly higher.  I also know that Melaleuca uses better ingredients that are closer to nature.  I also have to think about how much protein do I really need.  It is better to get your protein from natural sources - meats, beans, etc.  But, if I need to utilize a different source (like a protein powder), how much do I really need?  To answer this question, I had to do a little more research.  After reviewing several medical and bodybuilding websites, I came to the conclusion that anything under 30g at one sitting is absorbed at the highest efficiency.  Anything over, and you're going to be looking at some waste.  You also need to take into account how much protein you have had over the day, or plan to have.  In general, you should ingest 1g of protein for every pound you weigh.  If you are eating a high protein diet, then you may not need a protein powder with a higher protein count.  Basically, it depends on the individual and their needs.

CONCLUSION:
In general, I personally need a powder with more protein because I am not good at making sure I get enough every day.  But, before I could even get that far, I wrote off the ProFlex based on taste alone.  Using the ProFlex protein would save me a little money, and I feel like the ingredients are of a higher quality, but I just don't like the taste.  For this race, the Wheybolic wins.  Sorry, Melaleuca -  ya just can't win 'em all!

2 comments:

  1. i know its an old review and i love the taste and all my customers,, its a good protein, i know people who have bought proteins and broke out in spots this is very good product

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the dutch chocalate... no need to add anything to it and taste great with just water! :)

    ReplyDelete