Friday, March 23, 2012

REVIEW - Attain w/CraveBlocker Shake (Strawberry)

I ordered this product in my second month with Melaleuca.  I had been using Lean 1 strawberry protein in my morning smoothie for well over a month now, and was interested to see how the Attain version compared.  I use these shakes to replace my breakfast meal in the morning.  I am short on time with trying to get myself and my son up and ready for the day, so a smoothie is my best option for getting the nutrition I need in the morning.

Here is my table showing how the nutrition & price compares between the two:
<>

Lean 1        Strawberry
Attain w/CraveBlocker Strawberry
Attain w/CraveBlocker Strawberry
PRICE
~ $35 (Amazon)
$14.99 (Melaleuca)
n/a
   PRICE per gram*
$0.045/gram
$0.049/gram
n/a
Serving Size
2-3 scoops (52-78g)
1 scoop (30g)
2 scoops (60g)
   Servings per container
about 10 - 15
10
5
Calories 200 130 260
Calories from Fat 53 30 60
Total Fat 6g 3g 6g
   Sat. Fat 0.7g 0.5g 1g
   Trans Fat 0g 0g 0g
Cholesterol 3mg 0mg 0mg
Total Carbs 16g 15g 30g
   Dietary Fiber 3g 3g 6g
   Soluble Fiber 3g n/a n/a
   Sugars 10g 8g 16g
Protein 20g 10g 20g
Vitamin A 33% 0% 0%
Vitamin C 33% 0% 0%
Calcium 14% 6% 12%
Iron 33% 2% 4%
Sodium 317mg 95mg 190mg
* More accurate price breakdown since the serving sizes & tub sizes are not exactly the same.

 I set it up this way to show you that they are roughly the same in price, IF you were to order the Lean 1 tub from Amazon.  Smoothie King also sells this product at a whooping $50/tub.  The Amazon price is approximate because it depends on who the seller is, if it's in stock at a lower price, shipping, etc.

On Day 1, I used two scoops of the Attain because I viewed it as a meal replacement, and wanted the 20g of protein.  I was extremely full for all of the morning using the two scoops - almost to the point of feeling bloated.  On Day 2, I moved down to one scoop, per the instructed serving size.  I was not bloated, and stayed just as satisfied up tp lunch.  I decided to stick with the 1 scoop serving size from then on.

With regards to consistency and taste, both are fantastic.  Lean 1 tastes more like a fruit smoothie, where the Attain reminds me of strawberry ice cream.  I use orange Fiber Wise with both, and that adds a nice tangy flavor, which I love.

CONCLUSION:
I will keep my remaining Lean 1 powder as my back-up, but I am now switching to the Attain shake as my full-time breakfast meal replacement.  The Lean 1 tub comes with 10-15 servings (depending on whether you use 2 or 3 scoops), and the Attain comes with 10 servings.  I get approximately the same amount of servings, regardless of which one I buy.  However, I will save $20 by switching to the Attain.  I will also cut out 70 calories by switching to one scoop of Attain from 2 scoops of the Lean 1 mix.

5 comments:

  1. Hi - came across your blog as I am researching a LOT of protein shake ingredient labels right now. Do you realize the Melaleuca product number one ingredient is fructose, followed closely by corn syrup, and the artificial ingredient sucralose is in there a well. Enough for me to stay clear. You may want to compare your products for more than cost. I am trying to find a price on the Chocolate Attain without being a member. If you can help I appreciate it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita - clearly you don't understand the science behind the Attain crave blocker shake. All of the prices for Attain shakes are the same regardless of flavor. Oh and by the way not all protein shakes are equal; after four years I am healthier because of Melaleuca and still love the taste of their products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been mixing my shakes with unsweetened cashew milk instead of skim milk. Much better consistency, more calcium and even fewer calories. I saw the suggestion to add the orange fiberwise and will try that with vanilla and strawberry flavors. With the blueberry I add frozen berries and it tastes fantastic. I am going to consistently use this as a lunch meal replacement and get a blender to make shakes at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How will these shakes work with someone who is diabetic? I am type 2 and need something to help with sugar and carb cravings to get my levels where they need to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have GC control for that.. I'm only researching now as well but the fructose + corn syrup being top ingredients is alarming. Did you find out an answer for your need?

      Delete